Thursday, February 9, 2023

Into the Wild

It's been a site of pilgrimage over the twenty-six years since Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild first told the story of Chris McCandless, a.k.a. Alexander Supertramp -- the abandoned Fairbanks City bus, #142, in the middle of a in a clearing a couple hundred feet off the legendary Stampede Trail in Alaska, a track first blazed by a miner to his claim back in the 1930s. It even appeared on Google Earth, where it was marked "Stampede Trail Magic Bus," a name which invokes another, more mobile bus, a.k.a. "Furthur," aboard which Ken Kesey, Wavy Gravy, and others of the Merry Pranksters embarked upon trips of another kind in the 1960's.

The Fairbanks bus had been towed (along with another now gone) to the site as temporary shelter for workers years before, and had been fitted with box-spring beds and a stove; when the work was done, the bus was -- like so many things in Alaska -- abandoned. Unfortunately, its popularity was also its downfall; Alaska state troopers in Fairbanks say that more than 75 percent of their yearly rescues have been in its vicinity, and in recent years several people have drowned attempting to cross the Teklanika River, which cuts across the route to the bus, including a woman who had just visited the bus with her newly wed husband. Finally, on June 18th 2020, the bus was airlifted off the the site by an Alaska National Guard helicopter to an undisclosed location; rumor is that it may eventually be on display at the Museum of the North in Fairbanks.

When McCandless's body was found there by moose hunters in September of 1992, his family had not known his whereabouts or even heard from him, for more than two years. A young man full of promise, an A-student with a degree from a top college, no student loans, and a $25,000 start up savings from his parents, he seemed like a young man who had it made. And yet, before he departed on his curious quest, he'd given all that money to charity, burned the cash in his wallet and (soon after) abandoned his car. Changing his name to Alexander Supertramp, he traveled by hitch-hiking, crashing on couches, and working -- apparently hard and well -- at a series of farm jobs. He made friends everywhere he went, and yet at the end, he didn't want anyone to go with him. Krakauer, a journalist for Outside Magazine, was hired to do a story, which he did (it appeared in 1993), but he was still unsatisfied. Tracking down more of McCandless's friends -- some of whom contacted him after seeing the article in the magazine, helped fill out the picture, while Alex's few leavings -- postcards to friends, notes scribbled in the margins of books, and such -- offered the bare outlines of a journey.

Into the Wild, the resulting book, was a huge bestseller, and in 2007 was adapted as a film by Sean Penn.  And yet, despite the book's immense popularity, readers have remained divided: for some, McCandless is a true hero, a voyager of the spirit whose restless trek symbolizes everything great about the human desire to explore the world -- while for others, including quite a few Alaskans, he's just one of the apparently endless stream of inexperienced, foolish, and just plain stupid people who head out into the wilderness without the knowledge, skills, or materials essential to surviving. The debate is not an entirely new one; as Krakauer observes, a similar argument has long raged over Arctic expeditions such as that of Sir John Franklin, which -- though sanctioned by the British Empire and provided with what was thought to be the best equipment -- canned food, two enormous ships, flour, buscuit, and rum -- proved unable to survive in the harsh Arctic climate, even though, a few miles from the stranded ice-bound vessels, Inuit families were enjoying a rich meal of seal meat and muktuk, and bouncing healthy babies on their knees in their snug igloos.

So, as we begin our journey with Chris/Alex, what do we think? Try not to be polarized by the debate which pits McCandless as hero vs. idiot -- but give a read to this thoughtful essay by my friend, the Alaskan journalist David James. What, ultimately, does Chris's fate mean to us, especially on an ecological scale? Would you, if you could have, gone to visit the bus? What was it that drew so many to the place? And what now, that the bus is taken away -- what should be done with it? 

UPDATE: Here's a link to a documentary about Chris that includes interviews with his family members; you can also watch an older documentary from 2007 that retraces Chris's route. The bus his now located on the campus of the University of Alaska in Fairbanks, where it's being restored for later display at the Museum of the North  -- you can have a peek via a livestream at the process!

9 comments:

  1. I think something that’s really interesting about Chris’s story is that he was from such a privileged family and nobody really understood why he wanted to go out into the woods and kind of live his life in an outdoorsy way. I think it’s also really fascinating about his story is that he kind of tried to live by Thoreau’s logic, which was to be as simplistic as possible. On page 28, it is even stated that “he took as gospel the essay “On the Duty of Civil Disobedience“ and thus considered it his moral responsibility to flout the laws of the state”. I think this is really interesting because before I even knew that he was interested in Thoreau I got the sense that he was trying to live by his laws of the land. Personally I would never be able to do what he did and live off the land like that because I am so used to living in a civilized society with technology. I think it would be fun to do for a week or so but I couldn’t do it for as long as he did. I would probably go out to visit the bus if it were still there because I think it’s quite interesting the history behind it. What I also find interesting is that he was able to live for so long without dying before he did die. Later in the book it talks about how he might have wanted to write a book about his adventures in the woods in Alaska, and I think that that would’ve been a very interesting story had he not died. I definitely would have read it and I’m sad that it never was able to be written.

    Isabella Santoro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia Suraski

      I agree very strongly with you about sensing Thoreau's desires to live off the land. Through his work, he continuosly talks about nature and the environment. I also do not think I could live in the woods like that, I'm not sure if I could even last a week like you said.

      Delete
  2. After reading the section from the "Wilderness" essay on understanding western conceptions of wilderness through the understanding of the sublime, I'm reminded of William James lectures on mysticism in The Varieties of Religious Experience, and feel that there is more than a little crossover in these ideas, which combined allow for me to understand Chris' motivations as akin to religious revelations. I'm further convinced of this by his invocations of Tolstoy, as well as the ways that the language of theology enter the narrative, most explicitly in his letter to Franz. Krakauer seems to understand these inclinations, which would at least partially explain his largely sympathetic depiction of events. The linked article, along with passages from the book (specifically the letters Krakauer receives describing how irresponsible the article is), involve critiques of Chris and others journeys from viewing the rationality of the described events, which by those terms are almost all correct. But I do not believe that the actions of Chris, or the pilgrimages to the bus that follow, can be explained in purely rational terms, and for the same reasons cannot be fully negated rationally as well.

    - Daniel Grothaus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, Chris' death is a story of peak irony. He felt trapped by civilization, and wanted to escape into the wild - But ultimately became trapped by the wilds, with his only refuge being a decaying, abandoned shell left behind by civilization. Chris essentially became caught up in a flight of fancy, the idea of a regression into the idyllic childhood of mankind, and was completely unprepared to meet the challenges of facing the reality of his ideals in full. At best, we can take Chris' life as an unfortunate warning against the dangers of naivety, and of taking the rigors of nature far too lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Chris/Alex's story exposes a lot about how society not only views nature but also social class. I find it interesting that his family and others did not expect Chris to want to live off the land just because he has a trust fund and an education. The implication that arises when thinking about that is that people view appreciating nature as a result of not being able to engage in capitalist society. How sad is that? Chris seemed to thrive while learning to live in Alaska and got many valuable experiences that people who view nature as a "last resort" would not have. Just because Chris had the means to be successful in a technological society does not mean that his choice of living off the land was foolish or out of character. I would love to have read his book, even spoken to him! I also think that the other implication - that people only think about the land when they have no other choice - is upsetting as well. We should all be appreciative of the land around us and want to be engaged in one way or another. From this story, it seems that people did not even think to get involved with nature until they caught wind of Chris and his epic tales. No wonder our Earth is struggling....

    K Ferragamo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really am enjoying “Into The Wild” for many reasons. I think McCandles situation really builds up the curiousity for why he chose to completely abandon all “rational” and become in tune with nature. I find myself with this same curiousity and as I’m reading, I feel a strong pull to go explore and appreciate nature for what it is. Quiet, Serene, Powerful, Giving. I know I could never survive in Alaska but surviving for an extended time and visiting are certainly two different things and to visit that bus in Alaska would’ve been a dream come true. As humans we all should be naturally attracted to our elements and I think McCandles was able to appreciate things in life most of people don’t have the capacity of doing. Chris’s fate should shed a light of understanding for the primitive and probably better way of living for some. I think to subject everyone to a standard basis is ridicilous and we should throughout our lives continue to explore and learn more about what supports us and our daily lives as humans. I understand why some have been drawn to the bus in Alaska and I don’t blame them. Now that the bus has been removed I think that they should have it in a place where people are able to go inside and feel how it felt for those working in Alaska when the bus was in use and also for those travelers who found this bus to be shelter and protection from the harsh elements. I know in Plymoth they allow people to visit the replica of the Mayflower so something like that should happen, perhaps the real thing sealed off but a replica that people can enter, right next to the real thing would be pretty awesome.

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aside from his lack of experience and equipment, I admire Chris for trying to live off the land. There was a certain part of the reading that really reached out to me: when McCandless said that the most damaging thing to a person's sense of adventure is a secure life. Everybody, especially younger people, have a desire to live a life of adventure, excitement, and a little risk. Before I read this book, I sometimes thought about all the things that humans need to do in order to have a good life in the eyes of the masses: going to college, getting a high-paying job, buying a nice house and car, getting a good title, and having enough money to go wherever and do whatever you want. As much as I want to do all those things, there are some days when I think to myself, "I wish I could live like humans used to live, out in nature where we lived like other animals, where the only things we worried about was what to eat, where to sleep, and how to create the next generation." With McCandless, he was doing that. He was living a simpler life in the wilderness where he didn't need to worry about all the extra things that our advanced civilization has created for us. He kind of reminds me of another explorer named Dick Proenneke, who spent many months in a log cabin he built in the Alaskan wilderness. The only differences between them was that Dick knew a bit more about the Alaskan wilderness, he brought plenty of equipment with him, and he had a friend of his stop by every once in a while to bring more supplies and check up on him. I've also seen a few YouTube videos of people doing similar things in other parts of the country. If I was given the chance, I wouldn't mind going to see the area where the bus was, as I sometimes think about going into the wilderness to see what life is like out there. I think that putting the bus on display at a museum or university is a great idea, because thanks to the infamy of McCandless's story, the bus is now a memorable part of human history.

    - Elliot Varone

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's so refreshing seeing Chris taking a leap and trusting himself enough to live in the wild. I do think that it makes sense that he would want to choose the wilderness over modern world at any moment in his life. I do think that no one expected it be It would cause of his financial situation. Why would someone with a trust fund want to go live in the wilderness? It's so bold and authentic and I do believe his family judged him too quickly. I think Chris fate is such an important thing to focus on because it can set the tone to how people view nature and what they might prioritize over the life we live now. There's so many people living I would have loved to visit the bus myself I feel as if it won buses or trailer parks and traveling the world. That is just amazing to me. would have loved to visit the bus myself I feel as if it would take some learning and adapting but it truly seems like a great experience. I think what drew so many people to the bus is the longing for wanting to stay in touch with nature and I think that the bus should be kept as a historical piece that people can visit.

    -Mirna Soto Razo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that Chris was like Thoreau, a life of simplicity was the better outcome for both of them. Chris came from a privileged family, he had a trust fund ready for him, but that meant nothing to him. Both socially and economically, Chris was set up for success, but it was not satisfying him. If I could have, I would have visited the bus, but I would not have had the discipline and motivation that Chris did to stay there that long. I do think it would have been a great experience though. I think Chris was able to stay at the bus that long because of the eagerness he had to escape from the norms that he was raised into, he wanted to experience change and excitement. I believe that curiosity drives people to the bus, they hear of Chris' story and want to experience it for themselves, naturally, we become curious about things we hear but don't see. Due to Chris' story and the way it ended, the bus should be kept and put on display, it would probably motivate people to go out and create their own experiences.

    ReplyDelete